UPSC CMS Exam 2023: If you are considering a career in healthcare in India, you may have heard of the UPSC CMS exam.
This prestigious exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) and is a gateway to a variety of healthcare services in the country. But before you start preparing, it’s important to understand the UPSC CMS syllabus. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into the UPSC CMS syllabus, covering everything you need to know.
- 1 What is the UPSC CMS Paper 2023?
- 2 Eligibility Criteria for the CMS Exam 2023
- 3 UPSC CMS Exam: Pattern
- 4 UPSC CMS Exam: Overview
- 5 UPSC CMS Exam 2023 syllabus: Paper 1
- 6 UPSC CMS Exam syllabus: Paper 2
- 7 UPSC CMS Exam: Cut Off
- 8 How to prepare for the UPSC CMS Paper 2023
- 9 FAQs on UPSC CMS Exam
- 9.1 Can a final-year medical student apply for the UPSC CMS exam?
- 9.2 Is there any age relaxation for SC/ST candidates?
- 9.3 Is there any sectional cutoff in the UPSC CMS exam?
- 9.4 Can a candidate apply for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the UPSC CMS exam?
- 9.5 What is the selection process for the UPSC CMS exam?
- 10 Conclusion
- 11 Useful Links
What is the UPSC CMS Paper 2023?
The UPSC CMS exam is a national-level exam conducted by the UPSC for the recruitment of medical officers in various government-run healthcare services, including the Indian Railways, Indian Ordnance Factories Health Service, and Central Health Service. It is held once a year and is open to medical graduates from recognized universities.
Eligibility Criteria for the CMS Exam 2023
To be eligible for the UPSC CMS exam, a candidate must:
- Be a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal/Bhutan/Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962.
- Possess an MBBS degree from a recognized university.
- Be below 32 years of age as of August 1 of the year of the exam. Age relaxation is applicable for certain categories of candidates.
UPSC CMS Exam: Pattern
The UPSC CMS exam consists of two papers, each carrying 250 marks. Paper 1 is an objective-type exam, while Paper 2 is a conventional-type exam. Both papers are held on the same day, with Paper 1 in the morning session and Paper 2 in the afternoon session.
UPSC CMS Exam: Overview
|Name of the exam
|Combined Medical Services Examination (CMS)
|Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
|Written – Paper I and Paper II Personality/Interview Test
|General – Rs. 200/-Female/SC/ST/Disabled – NIL
|2 hours per paper
|Purpose of the exam
|To recruit medical officers to post at different levels in two categories
UPSC CMS Exam 2023 syllabus: Paper 1
- Current events of national and international importance
- Indian polity and economy
- History of India
- General mental ability
- General science
- Respiratory diseases
- Metabolic disorders
- Infections/Communicable Diseases
- Common childhood emergencies
- Basic newborn care
- Normal developmental milestones
- Accidents and poisonings in children
- Immunization in children
- Recognizing children with special needs and management
UPSC CMS Exam syllabus: Paper 2
- General surgery
- Urological surgery
- Otorhinolaryngology E.N.T.
- Thoracic surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
Genecology and Obstetrics
Preventive and Social Medicine
- Social and community medicine
UPSC CMS Exam: Cut Off
The UPSC CMS cutoff is the minimum qualifying marks that candidates need to score to move to the next stage of the selection process. The cutoff is decided by the UPSC based on various factors such as the number of vacancies, the difficulty level of the exam, and the number of candidates appearing for the exam. Candidates who score above the cutoff are considered eligible for the next stage of the selection process.
|Cut-Off Marks (Out of 500) For 2019
|Cut-Off Marks (Out of 500) For 2020
|Cut-Off Marks (Out of 500) For 2023
How to prepare for the UPSC CMS Paper 2023
Preparing for the UPSC CMS exam can be a daunting task, but with the right strategy, you can crack the exam with ease. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the exam:
- Understand the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly.
- Create a study plan and follow it religiously.
- Refer to standard textbooks and study materials recommended by experts.
- Solve previous year question papers and take mock tests to assess your preparation.
- Stay updated with current affairs and the latest developments in the healthcare sector.
- Take breaks, relax, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Tips for cracking the UPSC CMS exam
Cracking the UPSC CMS exam requires more than just hard work and dedication. Here are some tips to help you ace the exam:
- Focus on understanding concepts rather than rote learning.
- Practice time management and improve your speed and accuracy.
- Stay calm and composed during the exam.
- Attempt easy questions first and then move on to tougher ones.
- Don’t waste time on questions you are unsure of.
- Avoid guesswork as negative marking is applicable.
FAQs on UPSC CMS Exam
Can a final-year medical student apply for the UPSC CMS exam?
No, only MBBS graduates are eligible to apply for the UPSC CMS exam.
Is there any age relaxation for SC/ST candidates?
Yes, SC/ST candidates are eligible for a relaxation of up to 5 years in the upper age limit.
Is there any sectional cutoff in the UPSC CMS exam?
No, there is no sectional cutoff in the UPSC CMS exam. However, candidates need to clear the overall cutoff to qualify for the exam.
Can a candidate apply for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the UPSC CMS exam?
Yes, a candidate can apply for both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of the UPSC CMS exam.
What is the selection process for the UPSC CMS exam?
The selection process for the UPSC CMS exam consists of a written exam followed by an interview.
The UPSC CMS exam is a golden opportunity for medical graduates to pursue a career in the healthcare sector.
By understanding the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly and following the tips and strategies mentioned in this article, you can crack the exam with ease. So, start preparing today and achieve your dream of serving the nation through healthcare.